Rural Assistant Payments

Rural Assistance Payments are paid during or after an adverse event.
They’re paid to help farmers with essential living costs.
Rural Assistance Payments are generally paid in a lump sum covering 4 weeks. If you need the payment for longer than this, you’ll need to reapply every 4 weeks.
You can apply for Rural Assistance Payments form up to one year from the date you apply, or a set length of time, which is approved by the Minister for Social Development.
Your local Rural Support Trust can help support you through this process and help you complete the necessary application.

Help with farm debt

Rural Support Trusts with banks to offer support for farmers struggling with farm debt. The new Farm Business Advice Support Fund is up and running with up to $6,000 available to help a farmer get financial business planning advice to inform and support conversations with their bank. This initiative is separate to the Farm Debt Mediation Scheme which will become operational on 1 July 2020 and will also have its own hardship scheme to assist struggling farmers engage in that process. Phone 0800 787 254.

More information can be found at

Key Contacts

Rural Support 0800 787 254
Waikato Regional Council 0800 800 401
Federated Farmers 0800 327 646
HortNZ 0508 467 869
Beef + Lamb NZ 0800 233 352
Rural Women 04 473 5524
MPI Animal Welfare 0800 00 83 33
Dairy NZ 0800 324 7969
Nait 0800 482 463
Work & Income -
    Welfare Support 0800 559 009
Inland Revenue - 
   Taxation Matters 0800 277 774